Monday, October 18, 2004

A RACE!

For my final game project I will most likely choose a specific site were the game will be carried out, categorizing it as site-specific. I am interested in the idea of making a game based on, or out of, a routine task or event. For I believe humans today find real world actions potentially boring until some element of the “lusory attitude” is applied. The lusory attitude being an arbitrary authority that serves to guide and direct play. I believe this because it seems everywhere I look people have created rules defining “magic circles” they play in. One of the largest and most noticeable seems to be religion, a game of “faith” in witch breaking the defined rules can result in unpleasant “afterlife”. another reason I think humans find the “real world” boring without using some “lusory attitude”, is I my self never found any recreation in such things as say walking home from school, without creating a game or fiction to the experience that could refresh and divert my mind out of the cold emptiness found in the realizations of infinite space and routine.
I am also interested in a game based on the race model: efficiently use the best path to cover a course in the minimum amount of time. I enjoy games with time based scoring because winning the game does not necessarily require the submission or defeat of another player. This is because if you do not have some one to race with you can always compete for a new, best time. My Ideas for the site of a race of some sort, involve at this point my personal rout home from school; exiting onto Jones, down to Francisco and Taylor via skateboard. What I think needs to be developed to make the game somewhat unique and more sophisticated is a sophisticated course. A curse that maybe includes obstacles that require more than just steering skill… any ideas?
A Race to cover a certain distance may be almost any length, and using any means stipulated by the rules of the race. Running a certain distance is the template of racing, but races are often conducted in vehicles, or on/with animals.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

This post is full of really terrific observations! Excellent work. Your discussion of everyday-life "lusory attitude" interventions is quite nice. I think one of the benefits of understanding game design is the ease with which you can increase sense of purpose or find pleasure in otherwise routine or mundane activities. And your preference for time-based, individual race games makes a lot of sense as you explain it... playtesting a time-based race game solo vs. head-to-head would be an excellent opportunity to study how direct competition can change the feel of a game. If you do pursue the kind of final project you describe here, I would definitely encourage you to playtest both versions.

October 19, 2004 at 9:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home